ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home as Former Governor Remains in Custody

Officials of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on Thursday carried out a search at the Abuja residence of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, as investigations into his activities deepened.
The search came a day after the Commission confirmed that the former governor was being held in custody over an ongoing probe.
According to information made available to Politics Nigeria, the Security operatives arrived at his home in the afternoon and inspected different parts of the property.
The development was made public by his media adviser, Muyiwa Adekeye, who disclosed that officials began the operation immediately after arriving at the residence.
El-Rufai’s legal team strongly criticised the action. His lawyer, Ubong Akpan, described the search as “unlawful and a clear violation of legal procedures and fundamental rights”.
Earlier, the Commission had confirmed that the former governor was under its custody. The agency’s spokesperson, John Odey, said: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is in our custody as of the close of work today, Wednesday, the 18th day of February, 2026. He is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.”
No specific details were released on the allegations being examined by the anti-graft body.
The situation follows a string of encounters between El-Rufai and security agencies in recent days. Last week, the chieftain of the African Democratic Congress disclosed that he received an invitation from the ICPC after what he described as a failed attempt to arrest him.
Only days before that, El-Rufai had visited the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission headquarters in Abuja over allegations linked to his time in office between 2015 and 2023.
Reports also surfaced that operatives tried to arrest him after his return from Cairo, Egypt. El-Rufai later claimed that the phone of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, had been tapped, allowing him to intercept instructions for his arrest.
Following that claim, the Department of State Services filed a three-count charge against him for allegedly intercepting a phone conversation belonging to Ribadu. Prosecutors said the act violated provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024.
As of Thursday evening, El-Rufai remained in custody while investigations continued.



