FCT Elections: Senator Ireti Kingibe Faults Wike’s Movement Restriction

The senator representing the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Ireti Kingibe, has criticised the curfew imposed on residents by FCT Minister Nyesom Wike ahead of Saturday’s area council election in the capital.

Kingibe argued that the curfew unnecessarily restricts the freedom of FCT residents in a democratic society.

Speaking during an interview on Friday, the lawmaker said sensitive materials for Saturday’s election had already been delivered.

She said, “From my observation I think everything is ready, both security and logistics.

“We the members of the different area councils followed the materials yesterday, so we know that the materials have arrived and everything seems to be on track.

“People do not understand the reason for this restriction. Many residents have various activities and responsibilities in the evening, and such a curfew unnecessarily limits their freedom in a democratic society.

“There have been no reported security breaches to justify this action, and it feels like an unwarranted infringement on the rights of citizens.”

Wike had ordered a restriction of movement from 8 p.m. on Friday to 6 a.m. on Saturday.

The minister also declared Friday a work-free day to enable residents prepare for the area council election.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button