Former Buhari Aide Reveals Plot To Remove NFF President Gusau
Former aide to ex-President Muhammadu Buhari, Bashir Ahmad, has raised concerns over what he described as a growing campaign to force President of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Ibrahim Gusau, out of office.
Ahmad made the remarks in a post on X on Friday.
He said criticism and accountability were necessary in Nigerian football but questioned the motive behind what he described as the intensity of the campaign against the leadership of the federation.
“There appears to be a growing campaign by some individuals to force the President of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Mallam Ibrahim Gusau, out of office,” Ahmad wrote.

“I believe that while criticism and accountability are necessary, the apparent intensity of the campaign against the NFF leadership raises questions about its motives.”
Ahmad said Nigerian football had faced deep-rooted challenges for years and that the present NFF leadership inherited a system that could not be fixed overnight.
He listed administration, funding, grassroots development, player welfare, coaching, infrastructure and the overall organisation of football as areas requiring sustained reforms.
The former presidential aide said the problems affecting Nigerian football were bigger than the tenure of a single NFF administration.
“So, the question we should now ask is are we trying to fix Nigerian football or are we simply trying to remove individuals from positions of responsibility?” he asked.
Ahmad said NFF officials should be held accountable where they fail to meet their responsibilities.
He, however, argued that removing an elected football administrator should not become an objective in itself when there are ongoing efforts to reform the system.
“If there are areas where the NFF has failed, those responsible should be held accountable,” Ahmad said.
“But removing an elected football administrator should not become an objective in itself, particularly when there are ongoing efforts to reform the system.”
He said Nigerian football needs stability, professionalism and continuity.
“Constant attempts to remove football administrators before they have the opportunity to implement meaningful reforms can further weaken the institution and distract from the real issues affecting the game,” he added.

Ahmad said the NFF belongs to Nigerian football and should not be controlled by any individual or interest group.
“The NFF belongs to Nigerian football, not to any individual or interest group,” he said.
“What should ultimately matter is the development of the sport, the welfare of our players, the growth of grassroots football and the return of Nigerian football to where it belongs.”
His comments come amid reports that the leadership of the NFF, led by Gusau, had been issued a 24-hour ultimatum to resign.
The reports claimed that the ultimatum followed concerns over the administration of Nigerian football and the performance of the country’s national teams.
However, the NFF had not publicly confirmed that it received any directive requiring members of its Executive Committee to resign.
The federation has also faced fresh scrutiny following reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, were investigating the management of a N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund.
The fund was reportedly released for players’ bonuses and allowances.
Gusau emerged NFF president in September 2022 after the federation’s elective congress in Benin City, Edo State.
The NFF is expected to hold another elective congress in Lafia, Nasarawa State, on September 27.
Ahmad said Nigerians could disagree with Gusau but should not be unfair to him.
“If he is genuinely trying to fix the system, he deserves the opportunity to do so and where he falls short, he should be constructively challenged and held accountable,” he said.



