Adeleke’s Camp Withdraws Remarks Against Okpebholo
The spokesperson of Governor Ademola Adeleke’s campaign council, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has withdrawn remarks he previously made against Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo State following the conclusion of the Osun State governorship election.
Olajengbesi said he was withdrawing any statement that might have been interpreted as insulting or disrespectful to the Edo governor.
Olajengbesi, in a statement released on Thursday, said, “I personally withdraw my earlier remarks that may have appeared disrespectful to the Governor of Edo State, His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo.
Okpebholo had visited Osun State during the election campaign to canvass support for the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, popularly known as Ambo.
He had criticised Adeleke’s style of leadership and mocked the governor over his frequent dancing.
Speaking at an APC rally, Okpebholo accused Adeleke of spending more time dancing than governing the state.
“Before somebody (Adeleke) signs paper, he will dance. Are you not tired? For four years, this man has been dancing. Before he takes breakfast, before he drinks tea, he will dance,” he said.
The Edo governor also claimed that Adeleke was not regular at meetings of APC governors in Abuja, arguing that this had affected his understanding of political and governance issues.
“I was asking my friend and I said, I can’t even remember when I saw this man in our general meeting in Abuja. Before he even enters the plane, he will dance. Before he gets there, we are closed. So, he won’t know what we are saying. He doesn’t know the reality of today,” Okpebholo said.
He also urged Osun voters to collect money allegedly being distributed by the Accord Party but vote for the APC candidate.
“If they bring money, ‘chop’ (take) that money from them, but don’t vote for them. They said they have money to spend, is that not so? Just collect the money, keep it in your pocket,” he said.
However, Olajengbesi said the election was now over and called for political disagreements to be separated from respect for public institutions and the offices occupied by elected officials.
He described Okpebholo’s conduct during the election period as “very uncharitable” but said the council was prepared to move beyond the dispute.
“Governor Monday Okpebholo was in Osun State for the election and, in my view, conducted himself in a very uncharitable manner. But the election is now over,” he said.
Olajengbesi subsequently advised the Edo governor to rely more on his media aides when responding to political issues and reduce what he described as the activities of “two overzealous cheerleaders” around him.
“Going forward, I would respectfully advise the Governor to speak more through his media aides and reduce the activities of the two overzealous cheerleaders around him who are constantly shouting, hyping and hailing him,” he added.
The council spokesperson also noted that several prominent Nigerians and APC members participated in the Osun election campaign without publicly attacking Adeleke or diminishing the status of his office.

“A lot of eminent Nigerians and respected members of the APC were in Osun State. Many worked even harder than Governor Monday Okpebholo for their party, yet none publicly disrespected Governor Ademola Adeleke or diminished the dignity of his office,” Olajengbesi said.
He stressed that the withdrawal was intended to reinforce the need for civility in political engagements.
“I therefore withdraw any statement that may have appeared unduly insulting or disrespectful. Political disagreements should never prevent us from respecting public institutions and the offices people occupy,” he said.
Olajengbesi also urged Edo residents to continue scrutinising the performance of their governor, describing accountability as a fundamental responsibility of citizens in a democracy.
“I equally encourage the good people of Edo State to continue to hold their Governor accountable. That is the responsibility of citizens in every democracy,” he said.
The development comes after Adeleke secured re-election in the Osun governorship election, defeating APC candidate. Adeleke won 19 of the 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured victory in 11 LGAs.



