35 killed as Lakurawa terrorists raid eight Kebbi communities
Lakurawa terrorists on Wednesday attacked eight communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi State, killing at least 35 people during coordinated raids.
The affected communities include Masama, Mamunu, Kamzo, Awashaka, Tungar Bature, Dan Mai Rago, Tungar Tsoho and Gorin Dena.
A resident of Kanzo told AFP that at least 35 people were killed when gunmen stormed the villages.
“We were in our homes when we heard gunshots. People outside began running into their shelters, but some were hit by bullets,” the resident said.
Aminu Garba, another local, told Daily Trust that many residents have fled the communities over fears of further attacks.
“Many people have run out of the communities where the Lakurawa carried out the attack on Wednesday. We are afraid because we know what they are capable of doing next.
“We never expected this terrible attack. I am sure nobody expected they would strike these communities in such a heartless manner,” he said.
Garba said although security personnel have been deployed to the area, displaced residents are yet to return due to lingering fear.
Umar Mai Gaskiya, a farmer, said the attackers shot indiscriminately during the morning invasion.
“I was lucky to escape. It was a morning attack. I heard repeated gunshots from different directions. I immediately realised we were under attack and ran into the bush. I was fortunate that none of my family members was in the village when the incident occurred,” he said.
Usman Aliyu, a security expert, said the killings appeared to be an attempt by the Lakurawa to demonstrate continued presence in the state.
“I believe the state government has been effectively engaging security operatives, particularly the army, to flush out the terrorist group in both Kebbi South and Kebbi North in recent times.
“Not much has been heard about the bandits and Lakurawa since joint security operatives neutralised many of them in parts of the troubled areas of the state last year. It appears the government is gaining ground in the fight against them.
“I think the Lakurawa know they are being subdued. Don’t forget that joint security forces operating in Kebbi killed over 80 bandits last year and dozens of Lakurawa fighters while they were attempting to cross into the state from Zamfara and Sokoto states.
“The recent attack is likely intended to signal that they are still around,” he said.
Police authorities confirmed the attack, saying the group struck villages in the Bui area of Arewa LGA at about 1:15pm.
Bashir Usman, police spokesperson in Kebbi, said: “Scores of people were killed as residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago mobilised to resist the attackers.”
He added that the assailants rustled cattle during the raids.
Usman said police officers, soldiers and local vigilante groups were deployed to restore calm and prevent further violence.



