Gunmen Storm Plateau Community, Kill 20 in Fresh Attack

At least 20 people have been killed after armed gunmen invaded Binper community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area, Plateau State, in a fresh attack that stretched from Monday night into the early hours of Tuesday.

The attackers reportedly moved into the community around midnight and targeted residents in their homes.

Several people were also injured, while others are still unaccounted for following the assault.

Residents said the gunmen, who were heavily armed, went from one house to another and forced their way inside. Some victims were reportedly attacked while they were asleep.

An eyewitness said the attackers “were moving from house to house, opening the doors of people who were sleeping and slaughtering them.”

The eyewitness added that more than 20 bodies had been recovered from different parts of the community, while efforts were still being made to locate residents whose whereabouts remained unknown.

The attack also caused extensive damage to property. Several houses were reportedly set ablaze, while farmlands and crops were destroyed during the invasion.

A resident who spoke about the incident described the situation as “terrible” and questioned why security personnel did not arrive while the attackers were still in the community.

According to the resident, the delayed response allowed the assailants to operate for several hours before leaving the area.

The latest attack has heightened fear among residents of Binper and surrounding communities, particularly farmers who depend on their farmlands for their livelihood.

Victims who survived the attack with injuries were taken to nearby medical facilities for treatment. Community members and local volunteers also began searching for missing persons and recovering the bodies of those killed.

Security personnel were later deployed to the community on Tuesday morning as authorities moved to restore calm and prevent further attacks.

Plateau State Map
Plateau State Map

The Plateau State Police Command confirmed that an attack occurred in the area but said it was still working to establish the exact number of casualties.

The command was also expected to conduct an assessment of the affected community and determine the extent of the destruction.

The new Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ayodeji Faniyan, alongside other senior officers, was reportedly heading to the affected area to assess the situation and receive a firsthand briefing from residents and security personnel.

Mangu has remained one of the areas affected by recurring violence, with previous attacks resulting in deaths, displacement and the destruction of homes and farmlands.

The violence has also affected farming activities in several communities. Residents have repeatedly raised concerns about their ability to access their farms safely, particularly during the farming season.

The Binper community has previously featured in reports concerning insecurity and destruction of crops.

Farmers in the area have complained about attacks on their farms and the difficulty of protecting their crops from armed groups.

The latest incident has therefore raised fresh concerns about the safety of residents who remain in vulnerable communities across Mangu.

Meanwhile, the Mwaghavul Youth Movement, MYM, has condemned the latest attack and expressed anger over the continued loss of lives in communities within Mangu Local Government Area.

The group said the killing of residents and destruction of homes and farmlands amounted to a serious threat to the survival and future of the affected communities.

In a statement signed by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Joël Sunday, the movement said residents should not be forced to rely on themselves for protection when security agencies have the responsibility of safeguarding lives and property.

The group also claimed that local youths had played a role in protecting residents during the attack by remaining on guard throughout the night.

It, however, warned that community self-defence could not replace an effective security system.

The movement called on Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang and President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to take urgent steps to address the security situation in vulnerable communities.

It also demanded a transparent investigation into the attack and other incidents recorded in Mangu, saying those responsible must be identified and prosecuted.

The group said the repeated killings could no longer be treated as isolated incidents because the attacks were affecting not only human lives but also homes, farms and the economic activities of entire communities.

It urged authorities to take what it described as “uncommon action” to stop the continued violence and prevent further loss of lives.

 

Mfonobong Daniel

Mfonobong is a purpose-driven writer and engineer who uses writing and positive thinking to develop his talents and abilities. He is a seasoned content writer who is also a lover of books, an enthusiast of creative writing, and has a passion for poetry and music.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button