EFCC Unfreezes Osun Government Accounts After Tinubu’s Order
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has unfrozen the bank accounts of the Osun State Government following President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s directive to reverse the restriction placed on the accounts.
Politics Nigeria reports that the affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now reportedly operational after being placed under a “Post No Debit” order earlier in August.
The restriction had prevented the state government from carrying out transactions on the accounts.
The development brings an end, at least for now, to a dispute that had attracted significant political attention in Osun State, particularly because the restriction came shortly before the August 15 governorship election.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the accounts had been released.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately.
“If it was not lifted, the Osun State Government would have made it a campaign issue. The fact that they are not talking about it shows it has been done,” he said.
An aide to Governor Ademola Adeleke also confirmed that the restriction had been removed.
“The accounts are now functional. That was why Mr Governor directed the Attorney-General to withdraw the suit against EFCC,” the aide said.
The EFCC had placed the accounts under restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into alleged financial irregularities involving the Osun State Government.
The commission said its investigation, which began in March, covered alleged dealings involving Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations received through the Federation Account Allocation Committee.
The funds under investigation were said to amount to about N11 billion.
The anti-graft agency also raised concerns over what it described as suspicious movement of money from the affected accounts shortly before the restriction was imposed.
It said the preventive action was intended to protect public funds while the investigation continued.
The account restriction immediately became a political issue in Osun.
Governor Adeleke and his administration rejected the allegations of financial misconduct and questioned the timing of the EFCC action.
The state government had argued that the restriction could disrupt the running of government and affect payments and other official obligations.
The Osun State Government had also accused the EFCC of acting in a manner that could interfere with the election.
The government said the restriction was capable of paralysing its financial operations at a critical period.
The matter later moved to court.
The Osun State Government filed a suit against the EFCC and First Bank, seeking the removal of the restriction and N2 billion in damages. The case was filed before the Federal High Court in Abuja.
President Tinubu intervened in the matter before the election.
The President said he was concerned about the timing of the EFCC action, especially because the country was approaching an important election in Osun State.
Tinubu said he was “deeply embarrassed” by the timing of the action, while stressing that federal agencies must be allowed to carry out their duties without political interference.
He, however, said the timing could create the impression that the Federal Government was attempting to influence the election.
Tinubu subsequently directed the EFCC to return to court and seek the vacation of the order freezing the state government’s accounts.
The EFCC had maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation and not the election.
The commission had also explained that the restriction was a temporary measure intended to prevent suspected movement of funds while investigators examined transactions linked to the state government.
EFCC Director of Public Affairs, Wilson Uwujaren, had earlier said the restriction could be lifted once investigators were satisfied that the transactions were no longer suspicious.
He also explained that restrictions of this nature could not continue indefinitely without judicial backing.
The controversy eventually eased after the August 15 governorship election.
Adeleke was declared the winner of the election after defeating his closest challenger, the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji.

The governor subsequently announced that he had instructed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, to withdraw the case against the EFCC.
Adeleke said the decision followed Tinubu’s intervention and his direct communication with the President.
“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my attorney general to drop it. Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.
However, the lifting of the restriction does not automatically amount to a declaration that the allegations being investigated by the EFCC have been dismissed.
The commission has not publicly announced that its wider investigation into the alleged N11 billion transactions has been abandoned.
In a related development, Politics Nigeria earlier reported that Adeleke had directed the withdrawal of the suit against the EFCC after declaring victory in the Osun governorship election.
The governor said President Tinubu’s personal intervention was enough to resolve the dispute and that he had no reason to continue the legal battle after the accounts were released.



