News

El-Rufai confirms bandit attack on Kaduna-Abuja highway, reveals identity of killed victim

Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai has responded to the latest bandit attack on the Kaduna-Abuja highway, where several people were reported to be kidnapped on Sunday.

Mr El-Rufai spoke through the state’s Commissioner for Internal Security, Samuel Aruwan. He confirmed that the bandits killed one person and kidnapped a number of travellers during the attack.

Aruwan said in a statement issued on Monday that eleven of the kidnapped persons had been rescued. He also said that the single victim that was killed during the attack was Famaks British School chairman and CEO and former Zamfara State governorship hopeful Muhammad Sagir Hamidu.

The Abuja-Kaduna highway is a site of frequent bandit attacks. The number had been contained following the murder of Emir Hassan Atto of Bungudu on September 14 by bandits, but they returned on Sunday at 2 p.m. and operated for more than one hour.

In a video that became viral on Monday, passengers can be heard crying for help as the bandits operate.

Responding to the news, popular activist Aisha Yesufu took to Twitter, calling the National Assembly to impeach President Muhammadu Buhari.

“Since I heard this news of the attack and killings on Abuja-Kaduna expressway, I have not been able to do anything and I have so many deadlines to meet!” Yesufu wrote on Twitter.

“What is the National Assembly doing? Impeach Buhari! The Northern people will thank you for it! They are sick and tired of the heartless and soulless posing as Commander-in-chief!”

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button