Two people have lost their lives while several shops were burnt in a gas explosion which took place in the Ajao Estate area of Lagos.
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Director-General, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, made this known to reporters on Tuesday.
The LASEMA boss noted that two bodies were retrieved from the debris and the scene is being cordoned off for further investigation.
Oke-Osanyintolu said that LASEMA received an emergency call on Tuesday while the fire had burnt shops and some wares. He explained that upon arrival at the scene, it was discovered that there was an explosion at Ajao Estate.
Oke-Osanyintolu said that investigation revealed that the explosion originated from a shop where they were using gas.
He said that a total of nine shops were affected by the fire, adding that the fire had been extinguished by the combined efforts of LASEMA Response Unit (LRU) and Lagos State Fire Service.
Also speaking on the incident, Alhaji Farinloye, the Acting Coordinator, Lagos Office of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), also confirmed the incident.
Farinloye said that a panel beater’s gas exploded at about 6:58 p.m in its workshop near a roll of 12 shops at Palm Groove Estate, Ajao, Lagos.
He said that the incident led to the death of two persons, with two persons rescued, while one was immediately resuscitated the other victims was rushed to the hospital with severe burns.
Farinloye said that many shops were partially affected, adding that the explosion occurred while the technician was trying to up his Oxycytelene flame popularly known as cabad’s cylinder.