Advertisement
News

Kebbi Abduction: ‘How bandits overpowered security operatives’ – Gov. Bagudu

Advertisement

The governor of Kebbi state, Atiku Bagudu, has narrated how bandits responsible for attacking the Federal Government College, Birnin Yauri overpowered security operatives.

The governor said despite beefing up security in the school axis, the bandits unexpectedly came in their hundreds on Thursday and whisked away a yet-to-be-confirmed number of students and teachers.

POLITICS NIGERIA on Friday reported that two teachers and five students have so far been rescued. Speaking with parents of the kidnapped students on Friday, Mr Bagudu said he took responsibility as a governor to protect its citizens including the students by deploying additional security operatives to the school axis when they got information of the proposed abduction.

“The gunmen overpowered the officers,” the governor said.

In a statement made available to journalists on Friday evening,  Mr Bagudu through his spokesperson, Yahaya Sarki, said efforts are ongoing to ensure that other students in captivity return safely.

“The state government will do everything humanly possible to bring these children and the staff back safely.”

“Since this unfortunate incident occurred, all hands are on the deck to ensure that our children and the staff are rescued alive, hale and hearty.”

“This abduction was a brazen and tragic incident, where bandits confronted the policemen who were providing security to the school. Unfortunately, they made away with some students and teachers. It is an unfortunate incident.”

“About two weeks ago, there was the news of bandits’ movement and they were sighted around this area. We consulted with the federal authorities here who told us that the school has about two weeks to finish its terminal examinations. It was agreed that if security can be stationed in the school, it is better to support the children to finish their examinations before going home.”

“The police commissioner had deployed 22 security operatives from the special anti-terrorism task force, prior to the attack. They were around even during the attack yesterday. Unfortunately, they were overpowered, because on different accounts, the bad elements came in hundreds,” the statement also reiterated.

“These children are all ours and we are obliged to pray to seek for their safe return. I am glad that the parents who also spoke expressed courage.

“They have also acknowledged that the security agents did the best they could and they are still doing their very best, Equally, the school authorities, principal, teachers and other staff. By God’s grace, our children will come back to us.”

This newspaper has in the past reported various violent attacks on secondary schools in the north.  Despite attempts by authorities to curb the menace, the incident continue to spread to different states.

Advertisement
Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button