The Federal Government has said the managing directors of the Rural Electrification Agency and the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Company were removed from office because they were part of a cabal which held the power ministry by the throat.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Monday by the Special Assistant to the Minister of Power, Aaron Artimas, the Federal Government provided additional reasons the MDs were expelled.
The statement alleged that the sacked bosses of REA and NBET were “denying Nigerians the full value of their huge investments in the power sector.”
It added, “As early as November last year, this cabal began to sponsor insidious reports using some faceless groups in Lagos, claiming that ‘the Ministry of Power was failing under the new minister.’
“It is the same ‘untouchables’ who want to perpetuate themselves in power that are now resisting any form of reorganisation meant to reposition the ministry for optimum performance.
“The ministry should not be tied down by individuals whose only concern is the retention of power at the expense of service delivery.”
Giving deep explanations to the reason for removal of the MDs in the statement, the power ministry said, “Many Nigerians are not unaware of the squabbling and unfortunate infighting affecting the two agencies as well as other alleged infractions.
“This obviously affected their performance in impacting the entire industry. No responsible leadership will tolerate such chaotic situation and expect success on the ultimate goal of improving power in the country.”
The ministry further stated that one of the factors affecting the maximum performance of the Ministry of Power was lack of proper integration and coordination by its agencies.
It could be recalled that on December 24, 2019, the Minister of Power, Sale Mamman, suspended REA’s Managing Director, Damilola Ogunbiyi, indefinitely. NBET’s Managing Director, Marilyn Amobi, was also ordered to step down with both MDs haven since been replaced with new appointees.