Portuguese superstar, Cristiano Ronaldo, believes the Saudi Pro League he joined this season could become one of the top five leagues in the world.
The footballing icon joined Al Nassr in January on a contract estimated by some media reports to be worth more than €200 million ($220.16 million).
Ronaldo has played in three of the world’s top leagues with stints at Real Madrid in LaLiga, Manchester United in the Premier League and Juventus in Serie A.
The 38-year-old said the quality of the Saudi competition had improved even in his short time in it.
“We are much better, and the Saudi league is getting better, and the next year will be even better,” he told Saudi SSC channel on Tuesday, May 23.
“Step-by-step, I think this league will be among the top five leagues in the world, but they need time, players and infrastructure.
“But I believe that this country have amazing potential, they have amazing people and the league will be great in my opinion.”
The Saudis do not lack ambition and a source told Reuters earlier this month that Riyadh club Al Hilal had made a formal offer to secure the services of Lionel Messi, Ronaldo’s rival for the title of best player of his generation.
Ronaldo scored a stunning winner on Tuesday as Al-Nassr fought back to beat visitors Al Shabab 3-2 and put Al-Ittihad’s Saudi Pro League title celebrations on hold.