Tragedy Strikes As Man Dies Of COVID-19 Complications In LUTH


Tragedy struck on Friday at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, when a  55-year-old man died of complications from COVID-19.

POLITICS NIGERIA reports that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) says Nigeria has recorded two news deaths and 20 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases to 210.

In a series of tweets via its Twitter handle on Friday, the center said the country recorded the two deaths in Lagos and Edo States.

It was learned that one of the deaths recorded in Lagos is the middle-aged man who failed to disclose his travel history and died on Friday morning.

According to Punch, the deceased reportedly had underlying health issues such as hypertension and diabetes.

He reportedly arrived LUTH emergency unit on Thursday night complaining of “malaise, tremors, and fever” and was also diagnosed with acute chronic kidney disease and sepsis.

Afterward, doctors reportedly sent the deceased to the “spillover unit” of the hospital because there was no bed space for admission.

But when he developed complications, a junior doctor at the accident & emergency unit was said to have reviewed his case and notified the senior registrar of his suspicion.

Quoting a source, the newspaper said the patient did not disclose his travel history to Holland and died “a few hours” after he was admitted.

The hospital was said to have discovered that the patient had COVID-19 when a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test was conducted on his blood posthumously.

It was gathered that the remains of the deceased have been reportedly taken away by the state coronavirus emergency workers.

“Fingerprint antibody test was done on him, confirming his COVID-19 infection,” the source was quoted to have said.

“The man did not give his travel history or the fact that he had contact with someone who had travelled overseas.

“He told the doctors that he had no history of coughs, sore throat, joint pains or diarrhea. After the Senior Registrar reviewed his case and confronted him with their findings, the man revealed the true story about his travels and his fear that he might have contracted COVID-19 and died shortly afterward.

“He confessed that he had been coughing and that he had returned from Holland two weeks ago, where he had gone for follow-up treatment after a renal transplant he also had there.

“When confronted after the man’s death, his family members said they withheld the information about his likely COVID-19 infection because they were afraid that LUTH would reject him if they disclosed his true state.”

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button